Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fozzie Bear Backdrop - Custom Painted Palisades Muppet Show Backrop








 Hey everyone! Just wanted to share a new element to my custom Palisades Muppet Theatre. Its a Backdrop for Fozzie Bear's Comedy Sketches. I thought it was a great backdrop to start with. Turned out pretty good, although pretty difficult. Please enjoy the pics and behind the scenes commentary.










Started by researching the fozzie episodes and realized it only showed a small portion of the backdrop. I had to make up the rest since my Muppet theatre is bigger than the TV screen. I did a sketch first.

Started filling in colors.

As you can see I decided to add posts on each side of the fence. Artistic license;)

Filling in the posts and bottom wall.

Then I penciled in the brick patterns.

I used forced perspective which is used in may theatrical scenic designs

Then I filled in the lines on the brick pattern.

Penciling in the fence

After the fence is filled in.

Then I penciled in the bench..this was a bit difficult.

Time to outline the bench...steady....steady!!!

Action shot! I used Gouache paint for this project, good for overlapping various colors.

I did as much shading as I could


Almost done!!

Finished Bench

Completed backdrop

Backdrop in place...LOOKS COOL!

Wocka Wocka!!

Thanks everyone, hope you enjoyed this project!!!

4 comments:

Wendy TC said...

Love your Muppet posts. When I saw the first photo of the finished backdrop with Fozzie, I thought the bench was real, like in 3-D able to pick it up real! Fun!

LANCE CARDINAL said...

Thanks Wendy, its an old trick of the vaudevillian theatres (Which the Muppet Theater is) because the stage was usually very shallow.Most of these backdrops were hidden in the fly gallery and lowered in and out.

DanOfTheDead said...

The combination of hand painted backdrop with your incredible set building is just amazing. Truly wonderful way to display the Muppets, amazing work! :D

Julie said...

Wow... looks fantastic! I also thought the bench was real/3-D. :)